This outline contains links to each step of the set-up process for getting Pointman configured on your own without the help of our onboarding team. Please note, we encourage you to reach out to our team at least once during the set-up process so we can ensure that Pointman is the best fit for your company and answer any questions you might have.
You will get billing emails sent to the email address on file as your Free trial comes to a close. In order to prevent your account from suspension, you'll need to make sure you access your payment portal and set up billing prior to the close of your free 14 day trial.
So let's get started! You've logged in for the first time, now what? There is some basic sample data in the system, but for the most part everything is blank. Let's start by clicking on the the Settings Tab at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left hand side.
Here's where all your set up is going to take place. For the most part we'll start from the top and move downwards.
Starting with your General Set-up, you can view the full guide to this screen with Training Outline 1 or you can follow along below. You can click on on anything hyperlinked below to be directed to a more complete article on that topic.
- Your organization is mostly completed from your registration, but you'll want to hop in and make sure everything looks good. You can set up your email content, set a company logo and add any Quickbook links.
- Employees is where you'll set up your team of dispatchers and technicians. You can either create accounts for them by setting a password, or you can invite them to join your team by email and they will have to accept the invitation.
- Setting up Teams will help you with scheduling and how you view and assign jobs on the dashboard. Smaller companies may choose to skip this, where larger ones might want to break up their Plumbers into one team and their HVAC into another. *TIP: It may be helpful if you have multiple office staff to split your teams into your field service and office staff, that way you don't have view your office staff on the dispatch board.
- Credit Card processing will walk you through how to link up to our payment gateway so you can take credit card payments out in the field. Today, we use Stripe as our Credit Processing system.
- Data Import/Export is your one stop for uploading your current Customer List, your existing Price Book, a list of all your Tax Codes and where you can go to export into Quickbooks. Learn how to upload your customer list here, Import your Pricebook Here and Your Tax Codes here.
The next Section down will be your Price book Set up. As mentioned above you can import an existing Price book by following our instructions. This is the section where you can go to add items one at a time, or modify existing items.
Training outline 2 will go over the above screen in its entirety, or you can follow along below.
- The Items section is where each individual item of your price book will live. Add items one at a time by hitting the big orange plus button or edit items by searching in the top search bar for what item you want to edit and click on it to open the edit screen. Read how to Add or Edit Items in your Price book.
- If you are going to add items one at a time, you may want to set up your Item Types and Price Groups before you begin adding items. If you are an Admin, you can add Item Types on the fly, but doing this in advance will allow you to organize everything beforehand. Read about Adding Items Types here or Price Groups here. If you are going to be uploading a price book, it will automatically set up Item Types and Price Groups based on what's in your spreadsheet.
- Proposal templates can be set up for jobs that you either do so frequently that you want to have everything set in place to use over and over again, or for anything that you might want to have pre-set up as a default of sorts but your techs can always add to it. For example you may always charge a service fee for any visit, you can pre-set a template that already has this built in, and your techs can just add line items on top of it. Read How to set up Proposal Templates.
The Jobs Screen is the next part of our Configuration. You can Read Training Outline 3 for full coverage on this screen or follow along below.
- Departments - Departments are a simple way to organize your company. Many companies use this if they offer more then one type of service, for example a heating and plumbing company. Read more about Departments here and how to set them up.
- Job Types- Job types are important for organizing your dashboard and setting default information for any type of job your company performs. Setting up Job Types will help you classify what kind of work is taking place and allow you to clearly see it on your dashboard, for example, Estimates, Installs, Maintenance. You can also set default times so when you schedule a job it will automatically place it on the dashboard and block out specific amounts of time (which can be edited at any time). Read all about how to set up your Job Types and what they are for.
- Tax Codes- Tax codes are set up for any job that charges tax to your services. These are defined by zip codes. You can input these one at a time, by hitting the Orange Plus button and adding the zip code and the percentage, or you can do a tax code import. This article will take you through both ways. * Note if you do not get all your tax codes entered at the time of set up, when you add a new customer down the line, you will get a yellow warning message that you entered a customer with a new zip code letting you know that you need to edit your tax codes to include this zip code.*
- Lead Sources - Lead Sources are set up on Customer records that let you know how they found out about your business. You can set up all the various ways people might have heard about your business in the Lead Sources Screen, or if you are an Admin you can add them on the fly when you are updating a customer record. For example, some items that might be entered into this set up screen would be, TV Ad, Radio Ad, Facebook Page, Word of Mouth etc. Read What is a Lead Source?
- Cancellation/Postponement reasons - Easy ways for your technicians to properly note their jobs on their device in the event the job needs to be cancelled or postponed temporarily.
Invoices: This section will take you through how to get your Invoices and Proposals set up. Read Training outline 4 for the full tutorial on this screen or follow along below:
- Content Blocks - This is your fine print that would appear at the bottom of your invoices. You can pre-set up sections that will appear on each and every invoice you send out. This could be sections like your Terms and Conditions, Warranty Information or Contractor Licensing info. You can choose whether a content block should appear on an Invoice, Proposal, Payment, or all of the above. Read more about setting up your content blocs here.
- Job Note Types - Job Notes are an important feature to set up that allows your teams to communicate internally and with customers. Some practical examples of Job Notes you can create are "Instructions" which would be internal for your dispatchers to leave notes for technicians when they take a call. "Work Completed" is a great section where techs can leave notes back to either office staff or customers explaining what they accomplished on the job. "Parts Used" is a field Techs can use to communicate inventory items that were used on the job. You can make the notes either internal or customer facing by selecting "Show on Invoice". Selecting this button would allow any note the tech or admin entered to show on the invoice. Keeping the box unchecked would keep it internal only, so a customer would never see it. Read the full article on Job Notes here.
- Payment Types- This is simply where you can set up what types of payment your company is going to accept. This will show as a dropdown menu when you go in to enter a payment. We have set up the most common types, but feel free to edit the list as you see necessary for your company.
Custom Fields: This section of the Set up Configuration Screen is where you can customize Pointman a little more for your company. If there are certain fields that we are not already asking for, here is where you can create those fields. All Fields are text based, so responses can be typed in directly. Training outline 5 starts with the Custom Fields configuration screen, or follow along below.
You can set up Custom Fields for all the sections shown on the right hand side of the above Screen.
- Asset Custom Fields are for capturing information about Assets that reside at a customers location. By default we have Condition, Type and Manufacturer. You can add things like Filter Sizes, Serial Number etc.
- Contact Custom Fields - we ask for basic information on contact records; name, phone, email etc. But you could add custom fields like birthday, number of kids, Dogs name etc. if you wanted to capture more information about your customer.
- Employee Custom Field - This is for your internal staff list, any employee you have in the system you can add any fields for more information you wanted to collect about them. Their badge or license number, their birthday, their start date etc.
- Job Custom Fields- Anything additional you want to add about the job itself, permit numbers, order numbers etc.
- Property Custom Fields- Anything more you want to know about the property itself. For example: Year it was built, Square footage etc.
Feel free to get creative with anything you want to capture in these fields. This is where you can make Pointman Custom to your business. In the near future we plan to release a more robust reporting suite where you'll be able to report on new fields your create. Today custom field is just for capturing on individual records.
Asset Configuration: Training outline 5 also covers the Asset section of the configuration screen or follow along below:
The Asset Configuration Screen will allow you to set up various Assets that are located on a customers property that you may want to keep track of
- Asset Condition- we've set a bunch of defaults in here: Good, Bad, Excellent, Fair etc. so you can report on the condition the asset is in when you arrive at a property. You can modify or change this list, by archiving items that are already there, renaming them, or by creating new ones using the blue plus button in the upper right corner.
2. Asset Manufacturers - This is where you can set all the brands of equipment you are servicing so you can keep track of that. You can add as many manufacturers as you would like.
3. Asset Types - Enter in any types of Equipment you wish to keep track of, whether it be a furnace, AC Unit, Boilers, etc. you can create any type of equipment you service by entering new items using the blue plus button.
The last section of our Settings Screen is our Integrations Tab. Today, Pointman integrates with Nearby Now an online review site that helps push reviews from your real customers to your website and increases search rankings and Quickbooks Online/Desktop. In order to integrate with this, you'll need to be a Nearby Now member. Integrations can be set up using a simple API key. In the future we hope to have many more integrations available.
If you require further assistance, please reach out to the Support Team using any of our channels -